“Ye Dosti Hum Nahi Todenge…..”
No matter which state you belong to, or what language you speak, this is the one phrase of which we all know the essence. This friendship day, let us take a moment to walk down the memory lane and remember a few Telugu movies that have captured the spirit of this bond.
1. Oh My Friend – A Telugu family entertainer based on friendship and love. This movie, starring Siddharth and Shruthi Haasan is my personal favorite. This is one movie that ends with best friends who remain so without any romantic angle. The two best friends (Shruthi and Siddharth) love each other more than anything else in the world and are ready to do anything for the each other’s happiness. Two best friends who have their respective partners and clearly understand the line between love and friendship. Two best friends who believe friendship is as pure as the bond between a brother and a sister. There is nothing as too much praise for this movie.
2. Dalapathi – In the puranas, one best example for the bond of friendship is between Karna and Duryodhana. Maniratnam managed to get to the big screen a similar bond with this movie, featuring Rajinikanth and Mammootty. This is a story of how they stand up for each other as friends and it explains who a true friend is. Both the men meet as rivals but end up being the best of friends, so much that Rajini takes vengeance against the people who killed Mammootty. In this movie, the hero chooses his friend over his family!
3. Happy Days – This is the story about 8 engineering students who go on to become best buds. They go through SO much together, the harassment of seniors, the pressure of exams, and heartbreaks. This film features Tamannaah and Varun Sandesh in lead roles. This 2007 film is relatable to every college going student, their journey to figuring themselves out and making friends for a lifetime. Every teenager will be able to relate to this movie and to every adult, this movie brings back the nostalgia of college memories.
4. Life Is Beautiful – This movie is rumored to be a sequel to Happy Days. It shows the journey of 6 friends who live and grow up together in the same place. It shows how they face the hurdles of life and make their places in this race. This movie features all new comers in the main roles apart from Sriya Saran and Amala Akkineni. Life Is Beautiful demonstrates the life of a teenager and the phases they go through while growing up. They build bonds that lasts for a lifetime. One of the best movies based on friendship.
5. Kerintha – I doubt any love story ever succeeded without the help of friends. This movie shows the exact same thing. Featuring Sri Divya, Sumanth Ashwin and Tejasree Madiwada, Kerintha is the story of a group of friends who help the hero get the girl of his dreams. This is a fun filled movie with a simple storyline. It talks about the strong bonds of friendship, being there for each other and their journey from being strangers to friends for life.
6. Sneham Kosam – This 1999 film features Chiranjeevi, Vijayakumar and Meena in the lead roles. This is the story of two friends who love each other more than anything else. For his friend’s sake, Chiranjeevi goes to jail without a second thought. When he gets to know what his friend did for him, Vijay takes care of Chiranjeevi’s son like his own. After coming out of prison, both these friends kill the bad guy and end up losing their lives together. This is one of the most inspiring stories based on friendship.
7. Nee Sneham – This is a story based on sacrifices for best friends. While one friend risks his own life to save another and ends up in a wheelchair, another friend sacrifices the love of his life. All this, only because of the love for their best friend. This movie, starring Uday Kiran, Aarthi Agarwal and Jitin is an ideal tale of friendship. May everyone find a friend like that.
8. Vasantham – This film features Venkatesh, Aarthi Agarwal and Kalyani in lead roles. This story is based on the friendship between two childhood friends (Venkatesh and Kalyani) who literally grew up together. Though both these friends know where they stand, almost everybody else including their own family thinks they are in love. Later, Venkatesh falls in love with Aarthi and they get married. The story goes on to show how this couple helps Kalyani get the love of her life and all the sacrifices Venkatesh is willing to do for his best friend’s happiness.
9. Arya 2 – This movie features Stylish Star Allu Arjun, Kajal Aggarwal and Navadeep in the lead roles. This is a story based on two friends, the hero’s love for his best friend and how much he is willing to sacrifice for his friend’s happiness. Most people believe this is a love story but it is based on friendship more than anything else. It is the journey of two friends from misunderstandings to sacrifices and finally to being best friends forever.
10. Iddharu Mitrulu – This 1999 film directed by K. Raghavendra Rao features Chiranjeevi, Sakshi Sivanand and Ramya Krishnan in the lead roles. This is a typical story of two best friends of the opposite gender (Chiranjeevi and Sakshi) and all the problems they have to face because they share a close bond. Both these friends get married separately but unfortunately, Sakshi’s husband abandons her. Chiranjeevi tries to console her but his wife, Ramya Krishnan is not comfortable with their close bond. The story goes on to show how these two friends solve this issue at hand.
11. Premadesam – The worst way the relation between two good friends can get ruined is when they love the same girl. Premadesam is one such story, featuring Vineeth, Abbas and Tabu. College rivalries are very common even till date. Vineeth and Abbas belong to two rival colleges but end up becoming the best of friends due to a few incidents. Their friendship gets affected when both of them fall in love with Tabu. The movie is about how willing they are to sacrifice the woman they love when everything gets messed up.
12. Gamyam – This is a romantic entertainer starring Sharwanand, Allari Naresh and Kamalini Mukherjee in the lead roles. Both the guys meet due to unexpected circumstances and they end up travelling together. Before they could realize, they become the best of friends. Sharwanand falls in love with Kamilini and wants to pursue her. He tries to use Naresh as a tour guide to reach her while Naresh is only looking for an opportunity to loot Sharwanand. On this journey, they become friends so much so that they are willing to sacrifice their lives for each other.
Now that we reminisced about all the classic friendship based movies, let us carry forward the spirit of friendship witnessed in these movies. Let’s take a moment to appreciate the special friends we have and tell them how much we love them. After all, where would we stand in our lives, if not for them?
Happy Friendship Day!