Not many movies break the barriers of language, culture or population and be liked by everyone. It takes a lot for a movie to not only be liked by the audience momentarily but also remain in their hearts, two decades after it’s release. Tholi Prema is one such evergreen movie. It features Power Star Pawan Kalyan and Keerthi Reddy in lead roles. Tholi Prema is a romantic family entertainer which released in the year, 1998. It is remade in Hindi as Mujhe Kucch Kehna Hai, in Kannada as Preethsu Thappenilla, and dubbed in Tamil as Aanandha Mazhai. Tholi Prema proves that simplistic stories will be loved by the audience. This movie which is directed by A. Karunakaran, was the turning point in Pawan Kalyan’s career. Tholi Prema finishes 19 successful years today.
Here are the few interesting facts about Tholi Prema:
- This is the debut film of Karunakaran as Director.
- Karunakaran saw Pawan Kalyan’s photo in a magazine at a pan shop and decided that he would be the hero.
- Pawan Kalyan cut down his remuneration for the Taj Mahal set in “Gagananiki Udayam Okate”.
- The film ran for more than 100 days in 21 centers and for more than 200 days, it ran in 2 centers.
- Pawan Kalyan’s bike is shown as a modified version of 2 stroke RX-100 whereas the bike shown after modification is a 4 stroke dirt bike.
- There is no female voice in any of the songs in the movie.
Keerthi Reddy’s art that Pawan Kalyan shows to his Uncle Nagesh is done by none other than Director Karunakaran
- Tholi Prema won six Nandi Awards and the National Award for Best Feature Film (Telugu.)